Friday, September 20, 2013

A Tree Grows in Red Bank

Big things have been growing here at Two River. Our current production, On Borrowed Time, centers largely around the happenings in a certain apple tree. Kids climb it, apples are picked from it, and, memorably, Death gets trapped in its boughs (if you want to know how that all goes down, you'll have to come see the show!) To create this, set designer and our production team really... branched out*, shall we say . I'm biased, but the tree they created is really quite something. Big and beautiful, it's the kind of tree that cries out to be climbed, that Literary Managers want to sneak onto during the day to read plays in (not that I know of any Literary Managers who have contemplated such a thing, I swear!). And of course, since it's a set piece, it's entirely durable, build to withstand eight shows a week of people enacting touching and hilarious human drama all over it.

Watching the tree go from a design on a page to the glorious thing you can see on the stage has been amazing. And though I can't quite share with you all the delight of watching parts of the tree travel across the parking lot like it was a large and slow-moving commuter, I can share this video that we've made showing some of the tree's construction. Watch, delight, and then come see the tree in action!







 *I know, I know, that's terrible. I'm groaning too.

No comments:

Post a Comment